Prevention and Home remedies for Swine Flu
Swine Flu is one famous influenza virus known by the H1N1 virus and it holds the capacity to cause severe problems in the body. So, you would not want to get into trouble and take any risk with such violent virus. It won’t be violent if it is taken care of early or it is just not given permission to enter the body. Here are some preventive measures for not allowing swine flu to get in your body.
Usually, preventive measures will surely include flu shot. The vaccine will not only protect you from H1N1 virus but also other common influenza virus that may come during the season of flu.
The vaccination is available in two forms. One form is injection which is the normal one and is recommended as well but consult a doctor before taking it. Second form of the flu shot is nasal spray. This has a lot of restrictions because it can cause some allergies. People who are older than 50 years of age or younger than 2 or if they are allergic to egg or if they are pregnant should not use this method. People having compromised immune system or asthma or anyone using aspirin therapy should avoid these methods.
H1N1 flu can be prevented by the help of following methods or measures:
- If you are sick do not go outside. Stay at home and treat your sickness. As H1N1 virus is highly contagious, you might transfer your flu to others. When you’re sick, your vulnerability to catching other diseases are high as well so don’t go out.
- Keep your hands clean. Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently. Use soap and water, or if they’re unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Do not cough or sneeze without covering your mouth and nose. Use tissue and avoid contaminating flu to your hand or other people around you.
- Do not come in contact to too many people if you have flu or even if you don’t have a flu you should avoid crowds as much as possible in the flu season. Especially, if you are younger than 5 or older than 65 or pregnant or with such serious health conditions like asthma, avoid swine barns as well. These will keep you from getting flu.
- If any member in your household has swine flu, you must decrease the exposure to that person as much as possible. Try keeping only one person to take care of the ill person as that should help in keeping the flu from spreading around the household which will make it difficult as everyone becomes weak and there is no one to take care of them.
In most cases of flu, you might be given additional treatment if you have any chronic respiratory diseases like asthma, as only symptom relief of the flu may not be adequate for them.
Some doctors often prescribe antiviral drugs such as oseltamivir and zanamivir if the symptoms have prevailed for just one or two days as they help in reducing the symptoms and any severity that might be resulted from the flu. Though these may work, the flu may get immune from such flu.
Some people are in more at risk than others. So let’s see if you may be in the risky kinds.
People who are at high risk of getting this flu or having a complication from that flu are listed below:
- If you are in a hospital or any kind of long-term medical facility.
- If you are very young (younger than 5 years of age) or almost an infant like younger than 2.
- If you are old (older than 65 years)
- If you are pregnant or you are within a few weeks of delivery regardless of the child’s condition.
- If you are by any means receiving long-term aspirin therapy because there can be much more severe complication if you continue the aspirin therapy even after you have been infected virally.
- If you are obese that is you have BMI (Body Mass Index) of 40 or more
- If you are suffering from chronic diseases that are severe such as asthma or kidney or such.
- If you have HIV AIDS or such immune system disease.
- If you belong to groups like American Indians or Native Alaskans.
How to treat?
If you develop any type of flu, these measures may help ease your symptoms:
Drink a lot of fluid: You must prevent dehydration so focus on drinking plenty of liquids. You should take adequate water along with soups or juices.
Rest: Take rest and don’t rush into work even in sleeping hour. You are weak when you have got the flu and your body needs some time to recover the immune system to fight the infection.
Take pain relievers: You may use pain relievers if you’re not feeling well at all. Over-the-counter pain relievers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be taken. Just make sure that you don’t give aspirin to children or teenagers because that may not go well. Although aspirin is medically approved to use on children who are older than age 3, children recovering from flu-like symptoms or pox should never take aspirin. That is because it might cause Reye’s syndrome which is a life-threatening condition.
Home Remedies for Swine Flu
Here are some home remedies to keep you healthy and to get rid of the swine flu. These are the remedies:
Basil: Also known as Tulsi in some part of the world or also Ocimum sanctum, taking five basil leaves by washing it daily can help a lot. Take these in the morning and your infections in throat and lungs get clear and you will develop strong immunity power as well.
Giloi: Giloi is an abundantly available plant in lots of areas. You can just take a branch of giloi and add five basil leaves and boil them in water for 20 minutes. Now, add black pepper and rock salt or crystalized sugars for some flavor. Now drink this when it is warm but not too hot. It helps a lot in improving your immune system and your body can fight with the flu and infection more effectively and efficiently.
Camphor: You can take a small piece of camphor approximately the size of a normal tablet and take it about once or twice a month. Adults can just swallow it directly like other medicine but children may find it difficult to do so. So, you can get your children take it with mashed potato or banana. NOTE: Do not take camphor regularly because this can be unhealthy if taken too much.
Garlic: You can take a pod or two of raw garlic early in the morning. Those who can take garlic, must have two pods of raw garlic first thing in the morning. Swallow it with lukewarm water. It helps in strengthening the immune system.
Milk: You can take a glass of hot milk along with some turmeric mixed daily. This will help in immune system and will make you strong.
Aloe Vera: It is a commonly available plant and also a common home remedy to a lot of health conditions. It consists of leaves inside which there is a gel. This gel can be taken in a teaspoon and taken with water daily. If you can’t get Aloe Vera, Aloe Vera juice are also available which might be slightly less or equally effective. This can help in pains and for immune system as well.
Do exercises: Perform exercises daily. Don’t go too hard on yourself if it is your first time. Take help from an instructor or just jog or walk around. This will help in keeping your lungs and throat healthy and your body can develop all sorts of resistance to assist you whenever any disease attacks you. Exercise takes some time for effect but believe me it helps a lot.
Eat citrus fruits: You can eat fruits that have adequate amount of Vitamin C in it. This is always effective as we know from other diseases as well that citrus fruit can act as a hero to the villain diseases.
To wrap it up, drink water. Water is a key component in your body’s well-being and it is the major factor to keep your blood clean and your immune system up and working efficiently.
And about the medicinal way of curing the flu, you may take pain relievers but it won’t you’re your symptoms go faster but it just holds it and it might have some side effects. So, if you are not into the flu in a deeper stage and if you think home remedy can fix it, don’t take medicines and they can be toxic to your body organs like liver, or stomach and may cause conditions like ulcer.
So, these were the ways to get around the Swine Flu and my advice to you is that you should not just depend upon this article. Because this condition has some fatal complications that can arise, you should seek doctor’s suggestion and try these home remedies at home. But if you are very weak don’t wait for anything and get immediate medical attention.