10 Ways to Get Rid of Stretch Marks on Stomach
They are some typical bands of parallel lines on your skin. They are of a different color and texture than that of normal skin, and it ranges from bright pink to purple to light gray.
You may also feel a slight indentation or ridge on your skin when you touch stretch marks on stomach with your fingers.
Sometimes, stretch marks on the stomach can feel itchy or sore.
Stretch marks on the stomach aren’t dangerous and go away with time but it does affect your appearance.
Most common places where you can have a stretch mark is on your stomach, breasts, upper arms, thighs, and buttocks.
Certain people are more likely to have stretch marks than others. So who may be those people?
Who Is at Risk of Developing Stretch Marks?
The following is a list of what puts you at risk of developing stretch marks:
Being a woman
Women are most likely to have stretch marks on the stomach because of various reasons.
Firstly, because of pregnancy which is further discussed below. In women, the stretches create more impact than men and if a
In women, the stretches create more impact than men and if a woman is overweight reducing weight must be gradual to prevent stretch marks.
Women will likely encounter stretch marks on stomach after pregnancy.
This is because of a sudden change in the structure of their body which causes the skin to stretch and create marks.
Anti-stretch mark creams are sold in cosmetic shops for pregnant women but mostly it doesn’t help.
Being Caucasian (having pale skin)
Paler skin means the marks are more visible. The indistinctive marks that go unnoticed in ‘not-pale’ skin too appear to be distinct. This is why paler skin has more chances of encountering this problem.
Having a family history of stretch marks
Genetic history too is evident for developing stretch marks on stomach. If anyone in your family has stretch marks, chances are you will encounter them too.
Having a history of delivering large babies or twins
As discussed earlier, pregnancy causes these marks. Special cases don’t make it any better. In fact, that makes you more prone to stretch marks.
People who have gained a lot of weight lately will most likely develop stretch marks. This is because of a sudden change in size and structure of body which results in stretching of the skin.
Having dramatic weight loss or gain
As discussed above, a sudden change in weight can bring stretch in skin and create stretch marks.
Using corticosteroid medications
Some medications like corticosteroid may have a side-effect affecting your skin by triggering stretch marks.
So, what may be the causes of Stretch Marks?
Causes of Strech marks
Stretch marks are usually because of skin stretching and an increase of cortisone, a hormone naturally produced by your adrenal glands, in your system. However, skin can lose its elasticity in case this hormone is produced in excess.
Stretch marks are common in certain cases:
- The continual tugging and stretching of lower stomach skin in order to make room for developing baby in pregnant women can cause stretch marks. This is a most common cause of all.
- Rapid gain or loss in weight can cause stretch marks too. A sudden growth spurt in teenagers can also cause stretch marks on stomach.
- Corticosteroid creams, lotions, and pills ruin the skin’s elasticity which in turn causes stretch marks.
- Some conditions like Cushing’s syndrome, Marfan syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and other adrenal gland disorders can cause stretch marks as they increase cortisone hormone.
How to diagnose stretch marks?
Actually diagnosing stretch marks rarely or never require a doctor’s help. You can identify that with ease by just looking at the change in color in your skin.
Treatments for Stretch Marks on stomach
Stretch marks often fade with time. But it never fades or goes out completely not even with medications. But if you want to improve your appearance by making them fade faster, here are some tips:
This works by restoring collagen, which gives the skin necessary plasticity. Red or pink stretch marks often fade quickly when it is used.
Caution: This cream may cause skin irritation. You shouldn’t use tretinoin cream if you are pregnant.
Laser therapy can be effective in helping you get rid of the stretch marks. The growth of collagen and elastin gets motivated when pulsed dye laser is shot. It is very effective for new stretch marks.
Fractional photothermolysis is very similar to pulsed dye laser therapy.
It uses a laser too. However, it is more preferred because it causes less skin damage as it works by targeting smaller areas of your skin.
This involves polishing the skin with tiny crystals to reveal new skin which is under the more elastic stretch marks. It can improve the appearance of the stretch marks which are old.
The excimer laser
It stimulates melanin (skin color) production so that stretch marks match the skin surrounding it more closely.
There are some medical procedures and medicines but they are not suggested as they are not much effective and are often too expensive.
Actually, there is no way to stop or prevent stretch marks completely but some tips can be considered.
Keeping your weight steady and in the same range can help as this includes no skin stretches and can prevent stretch marks.
While it is required for you to gain weight during pregnancy, ask your doctor how much gain in weight is necessary and how much is too much for maintaining.
Home Remedies for Stretch marks on stomach
Many products and procedures have been introduced that promise to remove stretch marks on the stomach, but very little or none of them keep their promise.
You can moisturize your skin in order to remove the itchiness of stretch marks. Use of self-tanning lotions can help your stretch marks on stomach get camouflaged into the color of your skin.
Castor Oil: It is generally used in the treatment of a number of skin problems including age spots, wrinkles, moles, dark spots, pimples and fine lines, but it can also be used to fade away the stretch marks on the stomach to some extent.
- Apply some castor oil to the stretch marks and then gently massage it in the area in circular motions for some minutes.
- Then wrap the area with a thin cloth (use cotton). You can then use some heating pad or hot water bottle in order to apply some heat to the affected area.
- Do this daily for a month and you should experience some significant improvement.
Aloe Vera: It is an effective way of treatment for many skin problems. It properties like healing and soothing can be used to get rid of stretch marks on stomach.
- Directly rub some aloe vera gel on the affected skin area, then you can leave it on for a quarter of an hour and then rinse the skin with some lukewarm water.
- You can also improvise. You can make a mixture of one-fourth cup of aloe vera gel, oil from ten vitamin E capsules and oil from some vitamin A capsules. Then, rub this mixture onto your skin until it is fully absorbed.
You can repeat this daily until you are satisfied with the results.
Egg Whites: We know eggs are a rich source of protein. Egg whites can be quite effective for stretch marks as it consists of amino acids and proteins.
- Just whip the whites of a couple of eggs gently with a fork. Rinse the affected skin area with water and then use a makeup brush to apply a thick layer of egg whites in the area.
- Then let the eggs white dry completely and then rinse it with cold water.
- Now put some olive oil in the area to keep it moisturized.
You can do this daily for some weeks and you might be surprised with the improvement.
Lemon Juice: Using lemon juice is another simple way to lessen stretch marks. As we know lemon is naturally acidic and that helps heal and reduce stretch marks, acne, and other scars, it is effective.
- Rub some fresh lemon juice gently onto your stretch marks on stomach in circular motions. Let the lemon juice to soak into your skin for at least 10 minutes then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- You can also mix equal quantities of cucumber juice and lemon juice and then apply the resulting mixture on the stretch marks.
Sugar: Natural white sugar can act as the best natural remedy to get rid of stretch marks on stomach. Sugar can be used to exfoliate your skin.
- Take a tablespoon of raw sugar add some almond oil to and put few drops of lemon juice. Mix it well and apply the mixture on the stretch marks and other areas.
- You can gently rub the mixture on the skin for some minutes every day before taking a shower.
You can do this for a month and get a good result.
Potato Juice: As potato juice contains minerals and vitamins that help in growth and restoration of skin cells, they are useful against stretch marks on stomach.
- Take a medium-sized potato and cut it into thick slices.
- Take one of those pieces and rub it gently on the stretch marks for some minutes.
- Allow the juice to dry for some minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
In this way, the stretch marks on the stomach can be prevented. It not so deadly, so you should not panic and these suggestions and measures will surely help.