10 Ways to Get Rid of Stretch Marks on Legs
Stretch Marks are some typical bands of parallel lines on your skin. They are of a different color and texture than that of normal skin, and it ranges from bright pink to purple to light gray. Generally, the stretch marks that appear on legs are pink at first and gradually fades into the silvery texture. You may also feel a slight indentation or ridge on your skin when you touch stretch marks with your fingers. Sometimes, they can feel itchy or sore. They aren’t dangerous and go away with time but it does affect your appearance.
Most common places where you can have a stretch mark is on your stomach, breasts, upper arms, thighs, and buttocks and not to mention legs. Certain people are more likely to have stretch marks than others. So who may be those people?
- 1 Who Is at Risk for Developing Stretch Marks?
- 2 What Causes Stretch Marks?
- 3 How to diagnose stretch marks?
- 4 Treatments for Stretch Marks
- 5 Prevention
Who Is at Risk for Developing Stretch Marks?
The following is a list of what puts you at risk of developing stretch marks:
Bodybuilders generally find their skin stretched in the process of tightening and toning their skin. The stretch during exercises in calves and arms, legs produce significant marks.
Women are most likely to have stretch marks because of various reasons. Firstly, because of pregnancy where the structure of body changes drastically in time. In women, the stretches create more impact than men and if women are overweight reducing of weight must be gradual to prevent stretch marks.
Caucasian (having pale skin) people:
Paler skin means the marks are more visible. The Paler skin means the marks are more visible. The indistinctive marks that go unnoticed in ‘not-pale’ skin too appear to be distinct. This is why paler skin has more chances of encountering this problem.
Genetic history too is evident for developing stretch marks. If anyone in your Genetic history too is evident for developing stretch marks. If anyone in your family has stretch marks, chances are you will encounter them too.
People who have had twins or big babies:
As discussed earlier, pregnancy causes these marks. Special cases don’t make it any better. In fact, that makes you more prone.
People who have gained a lot of weight lately will most likely develop stretch marks. This is because of a sudden change in size and structure of body which results in stretching of the skin.
Dramatic weight loss or gain:
As discussed above, the sudden change in weight can bring stretch in skin and create stretch marks.
People using corticosteroid medications:
Some medications like corticosteroid may have a side-effect affecting your skin by triggering stretch marks.
So, what may be the causes of Stretch Marks?
What Causes Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks are usually because of skin stretching and an increase of cortisone, a hormone naturally produced by your adrenal glands, in your system. However, skin can lose its elasticity in case this hormone is produced in excess.
Stretch marks are common in certain cases:
- The stretching of skin in legs during pregnancy results in stretch marks on legs.
- Body Building: You might be looking forward to making a great toned body by body building methods but remember that it can go wrong. Bodybuilders generally find their skin stretched that leads to stretch marks on legs and arms.
- Rapid gain or loss in weight can cause stretch marks too. A sudden growth spurt in teenagers can also cause stretch marks.
- Corticosteroid creams, lotions, and pills ruin the skin’s elasticity which in turn causes stretch marks.
- Some conditions like Cushing’s syndrome, Marfan syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and other adrenal gland disorders can cause stretch marks as they increase cortisone hormone.
How to diagnose stretch marks?
Actually diagnosing stretch marks rarely or never requires a doctor’s help. You can identify that with ease by just looking at the change in color in your skin.
Treatments for Stretch Marks
Stretch marks often fade with time. But it never fades or goes out completely not even with medications. But if you want to improve your appearance by making them fade faster, here are some tips:
This works by restoring collagen, which gives the skin necessary plasticity. Red or pink stretch marks often fade quickly when it is used.
This cream may cause skin irritation. You shouldn’t use tretinoin cream if you are pregnant.
Laser therapy can be effective in helping you get rid of the stretch marks. The growth of collagen and elastin gets motivated when pulsed dye laser is shot. It is very effective for new stretch marks.
Fractional photo thermolysis:
Fractional photo thermolysis is very similar to pulsed dye laser therapy. It uses a laser too. However, it is more preferred because it causes less skin damage as it works by targeting smaller areas of your skin.
This involves polishing the skin with tiny crystals to reveal new skin which is under the more elastic stretch marks. It can improve the appearance of the stretch marks which are old.
The excimer laser:
It stimulates melanin (skin color) production so that stretch marks match the skin surrounding it more closely. There are some medical procedures and medicines but they are not suggested as they are not much effective and are often too expensive.
Actually, there is no way to stop or prevent stretch marks completely but some tips can be considered. Keeping your weight steady and in the same range can help as this includes no skin stretches and can prevent stretch marks.
While it is required for you to gain weight during pregnancy, ask your doctor how much gain in weight is necessary and how much is too much for maintaining.
Many products and procedures have been introduced that promise to remove stretch marks, but very little or none of them keep their promise. You can moisturize your skin in order to remove the itchiness of stretch marks. Use of self-tanning lotions can help your stretch marks get camouflaged into the color of your skin.
It is generally used in the treatment of a number of skin problems including age spots, wrinkles, moles, dark spots, pimples and fine lines, but it can also be used to fade away the stretch marks to some extent.
- Apply some castor oil to the stretch marks and then gently massage it in the area in circular motions for some minutes.
- Then wrap the area with a thin cloth (use cotton). You can then use some heating pad or hot water bottle in order to apply some heat to the affected area.
Do this daily for a month and you should experience some significant improvement.
It is an effective way of treatment for many skin problems. Its properties like healing and soothing can be used to get rid of stretch marks.
- Directly rub some aloe vera gel on the affected skin area, then you can leave it on for a quarter of an hour and then rinse the skin with some lukewarm water.
- You can also improvise. You can make a mixture of one-fourth cup of aloe vera gel, oil from ten vitamin E capsules and oil from some vitamin A capsules. Then, rub this mixture onto your skin until it is fully absorbed.
You can repeat this daily until you are satisfied with the results.
We know eggs are a rich source of protein. Egg whites can be quite effective for stretch marks as it consists of amino acids and proteins.
- Just whip the whites of a couple of eggs gently with a fork. Rinse the affected skin area with water and then use a makeup brush to apply a thick layer of egg whites in the area.
- Then let the eggs white dry completely and then rinse it with cold water.
- Now put some olive oil in the area to keep it moisturized.
You can do this daily for some weeks and you might be surprised with the improvement.
Using lemon juice is another simple way to lessen stretch marks. As we know lemon is naturally acidic and that helps heal and reduce stretch marks, acne, and other scars, it is effective.
- Rub some fresh lemon juice gently onto your stretch marks in circular motions. Let the lemon juice to soak into your skin for at least 10 minutes then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- You can also mix equal quantities of cucumber juice and lemon juice and then apply the resulting mixture on the stretch marks.
Natural white sugar can act as the best natural remedy to get rid of stretch marks. Sugar can be used to exfoliate your skin.
- Take a tablespoon of raw sugar add some almond oil to and put few drops of lemon juice. Mix it well and apply the mixture on the stretch marks and other areas.
- You can gently rub the mixture on the skin for some minutes every day before taking a shower.
You can do this for a month and get a good result.
As potato juice contains minerals and vitamins that help in growth and restoration of skin cells, they are useful against stretch marks.
- Take a medium-sized potato and cut it into thick slices.
- Take one of those pieces and rub it gently on the stretch marks for some minutes.
- Allow the juice to dry for some minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
In this way, the stretch marks on your legs can be prevented. Stretch marks are not so deadly, so you should not panic and these suggestions and measures will surely help.