8 Home Remedies to Remove Body Odor
We have all faced a situation where our own or someone else’s body odor has bothered us. It is quite annoying because you feel unpleasant when you smell funky. Research also shows that people who smell nice have better chances to get a job or win someone’s heart than others who don’t. But even if you bath regularly, you might have been experiencing the problem. Yes, cleanliness is the key to not having a bad odor but sometimes just that does not work due to extremely smelly sweat. This article will guide you through the remedies that can be applied in order to remove the body odor and may be smell nicer.
What causes Body Odor?
All different sorts of things can cause the body odor to occur. Mostly, it is sweat. Sweating releases used up stuffs from your skin along with it and that makes it smell funky.
It is one of the main reasons of a stinking body odor. This is caused due to the heat generated between the arm and the body and the sweat thus created. Also, if you have armpit hairs, you are more likely to get sweaty there very fast. The heat generated there is higher and the transpiration is higher when there is presence of hair.
Here are some things that might affect in making your body odor worse:
- Overweight: People who are fat generally face this problem more because the heat generated in the body is higher and so is the amount of sweat produced by apocrine and eccrine glands.
- Spicy food: Taking spicy food and some drinks like alcohol can also trigger high amount of sweat and result in body odor.
- Medications: Some medications like antidepressants may also get you to smell bad.
- Specific Medical Conditions: Medical conditions such as diabetes or liver/kidney disease may produce distinctive smell in sweat which shows the sign of their existence in the body. Sign of diabetes is known by a fruity smell while any liver or kidney infection may produce bleach-like smell.
It is a condition in which a person sweats more than normal and more than needed by the body for regulating body temperature. Generally, this is a cause of extremely bad body odor. Having this condition means you might have bromodosis as well which is condition for smelly feet. Smelly feet are caused due to socks and shoes that don’t let the sweat to evaporate and gets trapped attracting bacteria.
Also known as fish odor syndrome, this is a genetic disease whose symptoms can generally be observed from birth. Like the name suggests, fish odor syndrome causes a highly offensive body odor which smells like that of rotting fish. This is because the condition causes the body to excrete high amount of trimethylamine in the sweat, urine, and breath.
Home Remedies for Body Odor
Here are some remedies for body odor that you can apply to get great results. If you want an instant fix to your problem you might want to go with deodorants and perfumes but if your body still produces high amount of sweat, these artificial fragrances will smell funkier combined with these.
Baking Soda absorbs moisture so you can use it for absorbing sweat which in turn will reduce body odor. As baking soda helps absorb moisture from the skin, it can absorb sweat and reduce body odor. Plus, it kills bacteria and works like a natural deodorant.
- Take a tablespoon of baking soda and same amount of lemon juice. Mix this and apply it on the areas which produce a lot of sweat in your body. Let its stay for some minutes and finally wash it off gently without scrubbing. Now, you can take a bath or shower. Do this for some weeks daily and you’ll notice a significant change.
- Also, you can mix equal amounts of cornstarch and baking soda. This mixture may be applied directly on the sweaty areas and this can provide you protection for some hours.
Apple Cider Vinegar
It is a great home remedy for a lot of skin as well as other health conditions. It is a powerful bacteria-fighting substance which also helps in eliminating body odor as it balances the pH value of the skin.
- All you need to do is take a cotton ball and soak it in apple cider vinegar and then rub the ball on your underarms and places where you sweat excessively. Now, take a shower after keeping it for two to three minutes. You have to do this two times daily for as long as you notice enough improvement.
- Also, you can add a cup of apple cider vinegar into bath water. Just soak yourself in this water for about 10 minutes daily.
- You may also add a couple of teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with a small amount of honey to a glass of warm water. Now, drink this daily three times before eating your meals.
Lemon juice is also a great remedy for treating body odor. The acidic property of lemon works greatly to lower the skin’s pH level which makes odor-producing bacteria more difficult to survive.
- Cut a fresh lemon in half and rub the halves on each of your underarms. If you have armpit hairs, make sure the lemon juice gets onto the skin. Let the lemon juice dry, and then take a shower. Do this once daily unless you feel the odor of your body is gone completely.
- In case you have a sensitive skin, you may dilute the juice by the lemon juice with some water. You can apply the lemon-water mixture onto your underarms and other sweaty areas by using a cotton ball. Leave it on for 10 minutes then wash it off or shower. Doing this daily is very helpful for quick improvement.
Rosemary is also very helpful in this case. It inhibits growth of any sorts of odor-causing bacteria. Also, it consists of menthol and chlorophyll, consisting of natural deodorant properties which neutralize strong body odor and which also gives pleasant natural fragrance to your body. Some zinc deficiency may also cause body odor and rosemary consists of zinc which makes it more useful.
- Take some dried rosemary leaves to double the amount of hot water. Now, let it get soaked in the water and leave it be for about 10 minutes. Now, you can soak yourself in this bath for 15 minutes. Finally, pat your skin dry and you are ready to go with nice fragrance coming out of your body.
Note: Some people get irritation and itches due to use of rosemary. So, if you are one of them, discontinue its use.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is known for its antibacterial and antiseptic properties which helps it in killing bacteria present on the skin and also eliminating body odor. Tea tree oil is an astringent so it also controls sweating.
- Take two drops of tea tree oil and mix it to one ounce of water.
- Now, get that solution into a spray bottle you may use it as if it were a deodorant.
Note: if you have highly sensitive skin, you should avoid tea tree oil.
Turnips also have antibacterial properties and so it kills odor-causing bacteria. It only gets better as it is also a good source of vitamin C, so, it helps in combating the body odor.
- Take two or three turnips and cut them into small pieces. Now, put them in a blender and make a paste.
- Now extract it into a juice by putting it in sieve.
- Now, gently apply this juice to your underarms or anywhere the sweat is excessive like the groin area.
- Allow it to dry and rinse it off with warm water.
- Do this every morning for keeping yourself free odor for a good deal of time.
- Including turnips in your diet also works well.
Tomatoes consist of antiseptic properties which are helpful in killing bacteria causing the body odor. They are very good at reducing sweating because they shrink pores.
- Crush about eight tomatoes.
- Now take the crushed tomatoes and extract juice from it by pressing.
- Take a bucket full of water and add the extracted juice in it.
- Use that water to take a bath.
- Do this once daily for controlling body odor.
- You may also drink a glass or two of tomato juice for the same results.
Wheatgrass is also equally effective in getting the odor removed from your body. This is because it has deodorizing properties as it has a lot of chlorophyll that works for your advantage. Any kind of toxins are also eliminated by this.
- Take a tablespoon or two of wheatgrass juice into a cup of water and mix it.
- Drink the mixture when on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Do this daily for until the body odor problem is gone.
CAUTION: Wheatgrass has a very strong taste that might be nauseating for certain people so you may need to be cautious.
In this way, you can improve your body odor and get rid of the funky smell coming out of your body. Don’t use any other medical ways or cosmetic ways unless very necessary as they can cause other side effects like skin conditions.