10 Tips that Will Help You Give Correct Benadryl Dosage for Dogs
Benadryl is over-the-counter medicine consisting Diphenhydramine for treatment of different illnesses. The main use of the medicine is to reduce symptoms and anxiety from allergies, bug bites, and bee stings. It is available for human as well as for dogs.
You should use correct Benadryl dosage for dogs otherwise; your dog might face the problems such as dry mouth and a lower frequency of urination. In unusual cases, your dog may experience some gastric upset like diarrhea and vomiting.
- 1 10 tips that will help you to determine Benadryl dosage for dogs
- 1.1 1. Find the amount of Diphenhydramine in single pill
- 1.2 2. Check the ingredients used in Benadryl before purchase
- 1.3 3. Read the label of the medication carefully (if you from outside the US)
- 1.4 4. Consider 1 milligram per pound-body weight method
- 1.5 5. Do not give more than three dosages in 24 hours
- 1.6 6. Do not use Benadryl to make dog asleep
- 1.7 7. Use Benadryl before dog exposed to an allergen
- 1.8 8. Use Benadryl OTC medicine only
- 1.9 9. Do not give Benadryl for an acute allergic reaction
- 1.10 10. Consult a veterinarian before using Benadryl dosage for dogs
- 2 Correct Benadryl dosage for dogs
10 tips that will help you to determine Benadryl dosage for dogs
First, consult a veterinarian before giving Benadryl to young puppies or dogs with medical conditions. Giving human medications to animals is unsafe. Therefore, do not give your dog Benadryl that is designed for humans. Here are other ten tips that you should follow before preparing a Benadryl dosage for dogs.
1. Find the amount of Diphenhydramine in single pill
Benadryl is available in different concentrations. You must read the label to find out how many milligrams of diphenhydramine contains in Benadryl pill. It is very essential to choose the correct amount of Benadryl dosage for dogs to avoid serious side effects.
2. Check the ingredients used in Benadryl before purchase
Another useful tip for Benadryl dosage for dogs is to purchase the sort the Benadryl that ONLY contains Diphenhydramine in it. Other formulations of other ingredients may harm your dog. So, avoid the use of Benadryl that contains other substances with Diphenhydramine.
3. Read the label of the medication carefully (if you from outside the US)
Diphenhydramine is the active element in most types of Benadryl in the United States, which is safe to give to dogs. However, Benadryl may contain other substances outside of US, which cannot be given to dogs. Thus, if you from outside the US read the label Benadryl to confirm that you are giving your dog only diphenhydramine.
4. Consider 1 milligram per pound-body weight method
There may be several methods for preparing Benadryl dosage for dogs, but one milligram per pound-body weight method is the best and widely used. The dose must be as the weight of your dog. For example, if your dog is weighing 40 pounds, then you must give 40 mg of Benadryl.
5. Do not give more than three dosages in 24 hours
The Benadryl must use one tablet every 8 hours. Only give three pills in a day to your dog to avoid side effect. As well, all of the doses must be the same size. Do not give your dog different amount of Benadryl dose throughout the day.
6. Do not use Benadryl to make dog asleep
Sometimes people use Benadryl to make their dog asleep. It is ok to use this medicine to make asleep their dogs while taking them to on car rides or to the vet’s office. However, doing this frequently may harm your dog harshly. Therefore, you should not use Benadryl dosage for dogs to make it sleep frequently.
7. Use Benadryl before dog exposed to an allergen
Like most antihistamines, Benadryl also works successfully as a preventative drug. If you already know that your dog is allergic to dust, smoke or particular grass, then you can give Benadryl dosage for dogs in advance when they have to go in those conditions. This will prevent your dog from suffering from allergy symptoms.
8. Use Benadryl OTC medicine only
Benadryl is Over-the-Counter medicine; you should not give it to your dog for a long period. Use this medicine when your dog shows allergic symptoms such as frequent inching, coughing, sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, etc. Once these symptoms disappear completely, you must stop using Benadryl dosage for dogs.
9. Do not give Benadryl for an acute allergic reaction
Benadryl can successfully prevent mild to moderate allergic reactions. However, will not work if your dog experiences symptoms that are more serious. If your dog is experiencing trouble with breathing or has facial swelling, you must rush to the vet’s office instead of using Benadryl dosage for dogs.
10. Consult a veterinarian before using Benadryl dosage for dogs
Although Benadryl is safe medicine for dogs, it is better to consult your vet before giving this drug to your dog. He may give you special instruction and provide specifically tailored dosage advice.
Correct Benadryl dosage for dogs
After considering all the tips explained above, you can determine the correct amount of Benadryl. 1mg of Benadryl should be given every 8 hours, thrice a day to the sick dog, until all symptoms vanished. This chart will help you to determine the correct amount of Correct Benadryl dosage for dogs.
Also, if you are searching for correct dose of Benadryl for kids. You may like to learn about children’s Benadryl dosage.