8 easy ways to tame Excessive Gas
We all have experienced gas problems and they are one of the most common problems in people. But it is a real pain when the gas is in an excessive amount and your stomach starts bloating quite severely. This article will guide you about how you can get rid of the excessive gas problem at home or by any other way of treatment. The condition of bloating of alimentary canal or accumulation of gas in the alimentary canal is also known as flatulence.
- 1 Stomach bloating
- 2 Symptoms of Excessive Gas
- 3 Causes of bloating/excessive gas
- 4 Home Remedies for bloating
Abdominal bloating is caused when the gastrointestinal tract is filled with gas or air. The feeling of bloating is similar to feeling full, swollen and tight in the abdomen. It can be painful and this is actually due to various reasons which are mentioned below in causes. Before that, you must know what happens when stomach bloating.
Symptoms of Excessive Gas
Here are some symptoms of excessive gas that might help you with diagnosing your problem correctly:
- A fever
- Skin hives or rashes
- Watery eyes, itchy throat or any other allergic reactions
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Vomiting or nausea
- Blood in your stool or urine [SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION]
- Unintentional weight loss
- Trouble going to the bathroom
- You might experience pain around your groins or your armpits
- Brain fog and trouble concentrating
- Irregular periods
Causes of bloating/excessive gas
There are a number of causes of flatulence or gas. Gas might also be caused by the health conditions related to the digestive system, or may be due to the side effect of other medicines.
I know that this will sound funny and quite stupid because everyone swallows air while eating or breathing but here we are talking about taking in more air than usual. This happens because of the following reasons that are mentioned below:
- Chewing gum
- Sucking on pen tops or hard sweets
- Having loose-fitting dentures
- Chewing really fast can also cause large pieces of food to be swallowed at once taking more air into your stomach.
- Hot and fizzy drinks: You might have noticed getting the bloated feeling after drinking hot drinks or fizzy drinks. This is because of carbon dioxide which accumulates air or gas in your stomach.
Food and drink
Some foods may not be digested or absorbed by the intestines. These are generally typical carbohydrates. These go undigested and are broken down by bacteria into gas which causes flatulence. Here are the foods which contain a high amount of carbohydrates that can’t be digested or absorbed include:
- Brussels sprouts
Foods that consists of unrefined cereal fibers can cause problem with gas and bloating.
Foods or drinks that consist of sweeteners like sorbitol or fructose might also cause this problem of excessive gas. These sweeteners are generally present in sugar-free gums and as chewing gums itself is not a good thing for flatulence, this sweetener only adds more problem to your bloating stomach.
Sulphur containing gasses might be produced after eating cabbage or onion and that might cause in wind with a foul smell like rotten egg.
Certain health conditions can cause symptoms of flatulence, including:
- Constipation (It may be a cause as well as a symptom of excessive gas)
- IBS (irritable bowel syndrome): It is a digestive condition which is quite common and can cause stomach bloating, cramps, diarrhea, etc.
- Coeliac disease: It is an intolerance to a gluten protein. It is found in wheat, rye, and barley
- Lactose intolerance: It is an intolerance of the body to dairy products due to the inability breaking down lactose (which is found in dairy and milk products) and can’t absorb it into the blood.
- Any kind of stomach or bowel infection like gastroenteritis
- Malabsorption: It is a condition where the intestines may not absorb the nutrients properly
- Giardiasis: It is an infection of the digestive system which is caused by parasites
Excessive gas caused by indigestion is often due to side-effects of many types of medicine like:
- NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like ibuprofen
- Antifungal medicines
- Some laxatives
- Champix (varenicline): It is used to help people stop smoking
Home Remedies for bloating
As peppermint consists of menthol oil, it has an anti-spasmodic effect and it affects the smooth muscle of the digestive tract in relieving any kind of spasms in the gastrointestinal tract, gallbladder or bile duct.
- It helps in calming flatulence and also helps to pass food through the stomach quickly.
- You may also chew on fresh peppermint leaves (taste may not be good but it is worth it) for getting relieved from bloating.
- You may also take tea with a peppermint tea bag from two to three cups a day by boiling it with water for around 10 minutes.
Ginger is a well-known home remedy for a lot of conditions. It can be used in reducing bloating and gas as well. It consists of several active ingredients like gingerols and shogaols (the pungent compounds) which helps in reducing intestinal inflammation or in relaxing the intestinal muscles.
- Take some thin slices of ginger in a cup and place them in boiling water in a cup. Just cover the cup and keep it for around 10 minutes. Drink this by adding lemon juice and a little honey up to three times a day for best results.
- Alternatively, you can also eat one teaspoon of fresh grated ginger before taking your meals. Or, you may also grate ginger root and sprinkle it on top of your food.
- If you’re an adult you can take 0.25 to 1 g of powdered ginger root daily for best results but don’t take in beyond the limit.
Chamomile tea is also yet another option to get relief from bloating and believe me it is quite effective. This herbal tea has special properties such as anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic which helps in soothing the stomach and helping with heartburn as well.
- Just make a chamomile tea by pouring a cup of boiling water into a cup with chamomile tea bag and letting it steep by covering for about ten minutes
- You may also try squeezing out the tea bag and add some lemon juice or honey to it as you desire.
- Sip the tea slowly. Have this tea two or three times a day between meals.
Caraway consists of anti-spasmodic effects with antimicrobial as well as carminative properties. Carvol and carvene are two chemicals that are present in caraway seeds and these help in soothing smooth muscle tissues of the digestive tract and also in promoting expulsion of gas for providing you with instant relief from stomach bloating.
- You can chew a pinch of caraway seeds for few times during the day if you are suffering from persistent bloating.
- If you don’t like the taste of raw caraway seeds or if it is too strong for you, you can always try some caraway crackers.
- Or, you can brew crushed caraway seeds to make a tea.
You can eat pumpkin to prevent any unwanted flatulence and bloating as well. This is due to the presence of a good amount of vitamin A, fiber and potassium (which help in digestion) in pumpkin.
- You add one cup of pumpkin to your meal and you will experience a significant improvement in digestive flow and it will also reduce gas. You may steam it, bake or even boil it.
It is not really a home remedy but you won’t have to do much for this. Activated charcoal has some porous properties meaning that it consists of holes which allow air and water to pass. These spaces and pores help in trapping the excess gas present in the intestines caused by stomach bacteria.
Activated charcoal is often available in tablet, powder form or capsule. Be sure to consult a doctor for usage.
Bananas are the good source of fiber and they can help in reduce bloating and gas. Also, it is very helpful in removing constipation. As bananas consist of potassium, which helps to regulate fluid levels in your body and relieves bloating.
Eating bananas regularly can help in eliminating bloating. You may eat it directly or make salads or desserts for added flavor according to your choice.
Warm Lemon Water
Lemon is a very good home remedy for lots of health conditions. Drinking warm water is healthy as well. So adding these two magical remedial things will definitely go well. Drinking warm water is good for removing harmful toxins from the body and in keeping the body hydrated as well. When it is mixed with lemon it becomes rich in vitamins B and C, phosphorus, magnesium, riboflavin, calcium, proteins and carbohydrates which help in digestion.
Lemon has its acidic property which stimulates the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach, helping to break food down.
Bloated stomach can be a real pain. Especially when you have a heavy schedule and can’t afford to lose any time. But you’re in luck because the home remedies mentioned above should help. You can simply take anti-gas medicines if you think medicines are required. And let’s not hope for that but if there are worst case scenarios, you must not hesitate in consulting your doctor for advice.