The relation between Alcoholism and Brain Aneurysm
Alcoholism and Brain Aneurysm
An aneurysm is a bulge in an artery and this bulge-like structure has the potential to burst within the area it lies in on an artery. It is quite similar to the bulge that appears at a weak spot of a hose. And you may know that hose bubbles are weak and can burst anytime, same goes with an aneurysm due to sheer pressure on the artery walls.
Aneurysms are mostly diagnosed on the arteries that bring blood from heart to the brain. Brain aneurysms, also known as berry aneurysms (they resemble little round berries) or intracranial aneurysms. This might be quite a staggering number but about 6% people have it. But the fact that mostly these aneurysms are small and not deadly, should cool you down. They don’t have a chance of rupture unless they are very severe, which is a rare case scenario.
This might be quite a staggering number but about 6% people have it. But the fact that mostly these aneurysms are small and not deadly, should cool you down. They don’t have a chance of rupture unless they are very severe, which is a rare case scenario.
This is another fact that may astonish you. Women tend to develop this problem more than men. And studies also show that having a parent that has this condition, increases your risk of having it as well.
Alcoholism and brain aneurysm
But most of all, we are talking about how alcoholism and brain aneurysm are related. Along with the family history, your habits also increase the risk of having this problem. If you do drug abuse or alcohol overindulgence, your chance of having brain aneurysm is pretty high. In fact, this is one of the main reasons of this health conditions.
Also, old people with alcoholic habit have very high risk of this condition along with chain smokers.
Why alcohol causes a brain aneurysm?
This is a popular question and you probably are here to the same question. Here is how alcohol causes a brain aneurysm.
The artery that takes blood and distributes to the brain, doesn’t have a steady blood flow that it is used to when you have drunk a lot of alcohol. High alcohol content in the blood is directly affecting the composition of blood leading to the unsteady flow of blood to the brain. This causes the small junction arteries to form a weak spot which balloon out and get filled with blood. This area of an artery because vulnerable and in severe cases can burst. So, this is how alcohol causes this problem of brain aneurysms.
Same goes with other materials like drugs and especially cocaine that has been known for causing these kinds of health conditions.
Read About How To Handle An Alcoholic Husband
There are some risk factors that might tell you how prone you are to have this health condition. An alcohol and brain aneurysm, as mentioned earlier, are quite related and alcohol does lie in these risk factors as well. As 6% of the whole population may have the condition, it is quite a concern. So the risk factors that are not genetic and that depend on things that develop over time are listed below.
- Heavy alcohol consumption: As I mentioned, this is one of the main risk factors of having this disease. You should decrease the consumption because alcohol consumption can cause other complications that consequently result in a brain aneurysm.
- Older age: Old people tend to have this condition more and you may have heard old people getting complications from this very case of the bursting artery in the brain.
- Smoking: Chain smokers have been found to be more at risk from this condition. So, if you smoke a lot, you might be at risk of a brain aneurysm as well.
- High blood pressure (hypertension): People with high blood pressure often report a brain aneurysm and brain hemorrhage. This is because of unhealthily speed flow of blood in the artery. Indirectly, alcohol causes hypertension and that consequently can cause this problem too.
- Drug abuse: Mostly, cocaine has been found to affect the most in case of drug abusing person getting this brain aneurysm condition, particularly the use of cocaine
- Head injury: This is more of an obvious one. You may laugh at this one but due to imbalance while drunk, you might get a head injury as well. Another reason to stop drinking so that you don’t get a brain aneurysm.
There are very little you can do about this condition. You can eat a healthy diet and stop all these unhealthy stuff like drugs and alcohol which can avoid you from getting all these conditions but they surely don’t treat them directly, if you already have a brain aneurysm.
Microvascular clipping and Occlusion are two surgical methods to treat this problem but this requires a lot of health investigation and you should do that with your doctor.
All we can recommend you to do is, stop drinking or lower your drinking habit altogether and you will really buff your chances of having this condition.